In this class you will learn the benefits of student collaboration, how to create collaborative assignments and will collaborate with each other. Any assignment in any discipline can be converted to a collaborative one. Many teachers and college professors have been forced to teach online with little or no training or preparation as result of Covid-19. Students have also been forced to take online classes which are quite different than a regular face to face classroom. This has resulted in a number of problems:
- Students miss contact with their classmates and feel isolated.
- Many students do not have the bandwidth or data available to view Video Conferencing, also known as “Live Classroom”.
- Teaching in an online environment using a face to face methodology doesn’t work very well and causes frustration to both students and instructors.
All of these problems can be significantly reduced and even eliminated if teachers or professors learn how to give their students collaborative assignments. However, few know how to do this, because they weren’t trained or instructed how to do it.
In his course you will learn:
- How to convert your regular assignment into a collaborative one and improve the quality of your online teaching
- How to handle a variety of situations such as how to grade collaborative assignments
- How to determine who did what
- What to do if some students don’t pull their own weight.
- How to assign collaborative partners and how many students to place in a group
The benefits of having student collaborate with online assignments is tremendous. Some of main benefits that I like to emphasize are the following:
- Collaborative assignments promote a sense of being part of an online community
- Critical Thinking is promoted as students question each other and check out assumptions.
- Students are accountable to each other.
- Students communicate with each other.
- Teamwork is promoted and collaborate assignments provide excellent training when students enter the world of work as many businesses collaborate with satellite divisions all over the world.
The Instructor for this course has over ten years’ experience of teaching online and never used videos and hardly used Live Classroom. He will give you lots of practical ideas and tips to help make your online teaching highly effective and enjoyable for your students.